Lijit Ad Tag

Monday, September 3, 2012

Homemade Spaghettio's


It's funny that I wanted to try to make homemade spaghettio's because I've actually never really liked them. And apparently neither has my husband. My mom never allowed us to eat them (or any Chef Boyardee product) and I understood why when I tried them when I was older. Gross. However, after looking this recipe over I knew that I would like it because it was basically a tomato soup base with pasta. And when my son gets older and starts requesting things like this because his friends eat it, I can make him this instead and hopefully be able to fool him. I really don't want to feed him a meal that is laden with preservatives when I can just as easily make it myself. I was concerned that this was going to be too soupy, but I let it warm on low on the stove while we put our son to bed and it thickened up nicely.

Homemade Spaghettio's
Source: Pennies on a Platter

Ingredients:
8 oz ditalini pasta (or other small pasta)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Make pasta according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and heat for 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, black pepper, sugar and butter. Stir until butter is melted. Add milk, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Add the cheddar cheese to the pan with the tomato base. Stir until melted.

4. Drain pasta and add into the tomato base. Mix well. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat to thicken.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment