I am apparently on an avocado kick lately. They are on sale for $1 at the grocery store, which is a great deal around here! In fact, I am thinking about heading back to the store for more. I just can't get enough lately. I decided to make these fries up as an accompaniment to my lunch today and I am so glad that I did (I just used 1 avocado and made the proper adjustments for the rest of the ingredients). They are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I chose to just dip them in ranch because it was easy, but I would love to try a cilantro lime ranch dipping sauce next time. These do take a little bit of work to prepare, but it's not hard and goes pretty quick once you get a rhythm going. Just remember to use one hand for the dry ingredients and one for the wet! I think these would be a good appetizer to serve at a football party too.
Baked Avocado "Fries"
3 slightly firm avocados
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp each of kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (regular works fine too)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put a rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
2. Halve and pit the avocados. Slice into fry shapes, then remove the skin.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 1 tsp. cajun seasoning, paprika and cayenne pepper. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tsp. cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. In a third small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and garlic powder.
4. Dip each avocado fry into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then the breadcrumb mixture. Line up on the rack.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Serve with ranch or any dipping sauce of your choice!Pin It